Phoenix Outdoor offers a unique model of wilderness therapy where our students participate in a well balanced schedule both in a campus and wilderness environment. Students will experience an ongoing schedule of 5 days at our base camp, followed by 10 days on wilderness expedition.
At base camp, we work with our students to test their accomplishments in the wilderness as well as develop the skills necessary to make their recovery sustainable. We continually strive to provide a safe internal environment for each one of them so that they can keep reaching for their recovery goals without getting thrown off track by life’s many ups and downs.
When students are at base camp in between hikes and activities, they are able to connect with their licensed clinical therapist daily to participate in individual, group and family sessions. In addition to this contact, students also engage in a variety of therapeutic activities, including:
- Physical activities/recreational activities
- Substance abuse educational groups
- Narcotics anonymous meetings
- Group dialectical behavior therapy sessions
- Different levels of ropes courses
- Yoga classes
- Sessions with guest instructors from the community to encourage continued education
- Optional psychiatric services and psychological testing
Through these and many other therapeutic activities, students are able to work on self-awareness, group cohesion, relapse prevention strategies, addiction education, and much more.
Students will participate in 10 day wilderness expeditions in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. While maintaining the highest level of clinical awareness and goal driven treatment, our highly trained staff will successfully lead each group through challenging experiences and activities including:
- Personalized therapeutic support with highly trained staff including psycho-educational groups, 12 step meetings, treatment curriculum assignments, and meeting treatment plan goals
- Individual and group sessions with a therapist
- Summiting mountains to beautiful overlooks
- Building and establishing safe campsites
- Preparing and cooking healthy meals
- Practicing hygiene and self care
- Camp and wilderness skills
- Team building activities and initiatives